Saturday, 17 June 2017

Week 7 - Term 2 2017

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Sunday

What absolutely beautiful conditions for Tama 1's flying lesson today. Today marked his sixth lesson. Just before his flight, Club members enjoyed a tour of the Rotorua Air Traffic Control Tour.

His flying concentrated on turns.  We had a perfect view of him climbing and turning from home.

My photography was absolutely atrocious today.  The plane is simply a speck against the blue sky. {sigh}, so no visuals.

Monday

Horse riding this morning.

Each week, when we get home, the routine is: kids get all their riding clothes to me so that I can get them in the wash machines straight away. While I get all the washing going, the kids set the table for lunch. I will check the letterbox and feed the animals.  If Marmite didn't come with us to horse riding, I take him out to his dog-run, and clean up any of his business.

Once lunch is finished, the big kids head off and do some book work. Because our lessons are running 9 to 12 noon during winter, our morning routine has changed. We would usually have completed maths before heading out to riding lessons, but not now. It's too rushed. To be honest, I'll be glad when it goes back to 10 to noon. At least that way, I don't feel rushed and if need-be, I can bake an extra batch of biscuits with ease. This week, I made sure I baked a chocolate cake yesterday and it was all prepped in the container this morning.

{I need to get tamāhine 2 into her riding boots soon after she's woken on Mondays.  The last two weeks have been too stressful.  Everyone's getting ready to climb into the van, meanwhile, I'm huffing and puffing trying to get these boots on her! Yes, I know she'll wear them in, but in the meantime, huff puff, huff puff. LOL}

I'll throw something horsey in ...



Tuesday

Having resigned myself to the fact that I had no choice whatsoever, but to involve myself more with the plumbing business, you will have noticed my posts about kura became less informative the last three, or four weeks. I simply haven't had a lot of time. Well, now that I've worked my little butt off developing a more efficient system, I am hoping that from next week I will be back to writing more about the kids daily mahi.

Something which helped is helping me stay abreast of things school/work/activities-related is Wunderlist. Although my To Do List has increased, I am managing to cope, thanks to Wunderlist. And now that I have a mobile phone again, I have found Wunderlist super handy because I can sync between computer and phone. For example, whilst at horse riding yesterday, I remembered some things to add to my To Do List, so I popped them on my phone when I thought of them. As expected, when I returned home I became carried away with lunch, laundry, feeding animals etc not thinking for a minute about my To Do List. But did it matter? Did it? No, it did not, for when I sat down at the computer to do some work, there it was synced across. I was able to act on the reminders right then and there. Very handy. You can't complain when Wunderlist is free either. Perhaps you're looking for something to help you stay ahead? Perhaps you already have something.  Kei te pai. I'm simply mentioning it as a "just-in-case-you-need-something-too."

We said farewell to the Toyota Hiace this afternoon. Yay! I am very glad to see the back end of that. So glad it sold so easily - with a profit I am pleased to add. Advertised it yesterday morning and it was sold while we were at horse riding. Luckily I had the kids clean out all the plumbing gear yesterday afternoon. We didn't realise it would sell within hours. There were LOTS of tools to clear out, but thankfully the kids had it all sorted. Just before the new owners arrived this afternoon, we gave it one last check, but we were all satisfied it was ready and didn't have a hidden one hundred dollar note stuck down a crevice anywhere, LOL.



Wednesday

Uncle Warrick and Julie called in this afternoon.We had just finished lunch and were preparing to continue with our school work when they arrived. So great to catch up. We scored a couple of small bookcases too.  BONUS.  What homeschooler can refuse bookcases?

At TKD:

  • A discussion was held regarding the second training night possibly being held in Ngongotaha. 
  • We had to give our apologies for this Sunday-coming. The black belt training will be held in Te Aroha. We just have too much going on to take an entire day away right now.
  • Training involves a variety of martial arts, now. This has been the focus of the Club since their instructor broke away from the previous Club. It's made it difficult to know whether to say they're doing TKD, or call it martial arts training, because, really, that's what it has been for the last 18 months or so.


Thursday

Finally able to spend time with tama 3 to teach him dividing a double-digit into a triple-digit. It was such a relief not to be looking at the clock thinking I needed to hurry up and get back to the home business. I was able to focus my attention squarely on tama 3.  Then, I did the same with tamāhine 2 and tama 4. I touched base with the older kids to find out where they're at with things over lunch. We discussed what we'll try focussing on from next week and how I'll make every effort to carve out an exact time when I'll work on the business, and when I'll concentrate on kura.  Let's just hope it pans out ....


Friday

Made a super fast batch of biscuits to take with us this morning.  Note to self:  If it's a regular outing on Fridays, I'll have to make sure I've baked extra on Thursdays - similar to my Sundays, LOL.

Felt great watching tama 1 and tama 3 practicing their drums today. I haven't been able to watch them properly over the last few weeks, but again (without wishing to sound like a broken record), now that I'm caught up with the business, it was fantastic to watch them both and to see how much they have improved in just a matter of weeks. Tama 1 knows what he will be playing for the Learners Concert now.      :)

Tamāhine 1 also knows what piece she intends to play for the Concert. (It is nice to hear her play a piece of music as opposed to practicing a bunch of notes.)        :)


Saturday

The big kids helped out with the car boot sale for Tash on Saturday.

Before they left, I mentioned they could look at prices of jodhpurs, if they had a chance.

Do you know the origin of jodhpurs?

Obviously, it's not an English word.  In fact, it's Indian.  This great article gives a history of jodhpurs which you may find interesting. I learned there is a city in India called Jodhpur where the homes are painted blue, but the reason for the blue colour is not known.

Something else I learned is that there's a difference between jodhpurs and breeches!

Go figure.

By the time the kids were finished, we were too late to head into the city for the haka world record bid.

Never to mind. We made it to the Rotorua Highland Pipe Band Playout which took place outside Hennessey's Irish Bar around 4 o'clock. Our family were there as supporters-only but it was a fantastic opportunity for them all to see what the Band looks like in uniform, and plays like. Hopefully, it was an incentive for them to persevere.

We were across the road when the Daily Post filmed this segment.  Our flash waka made it on the recording though, LOL.  


So there you go.  That's a super fast wrap up of the week.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite anō
 

No comments:

Post a Comment