Wednesday, 19 October 2016

Term 4 2016 underway

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Tama 4 said that the ship is sinking (see the hole) so the sheep jump off, go past a coconut tree and climb up to find a beanstalk.  They climb up not knowing what they will find.
True story.
Ha ha!!


Tama 3 going through his Roald Dahl stage.
I quickly took a picture as it was getting a bit tatty from laying around on my kitchen bench for a week!

Yay!  Finally tama 5 finished making his shark!!


This is more for my overseas friends.

A great view of Te Wāhi Pounamu or as it is referred to these days, Te Waipounamu, or Te Waka a Māui (the South Island). However, only lower- Te Ika a Māui (North Island) is clearly visible. Rotorua is lost amongst the clouds, lol.

I'm sure I've seen this ISS video on Facebook before and I decided to add it to the blog in case my good friend Schere wants to use it with her family's studies (wink wink).



Geography

Over the last ... oh, who-knows-how-many-weeks ... tama 4 has spent extra time each lesson adding his own embellishments.  Everyone else will have toddled off to do something else, meanwhile, he's still there drawing a story.  Too good not to record on the blog huh?!  (The following are from last week ... when I started drafting this post ... aren't I slack! hee hee).


You can barely make out Andorra, lol.
I think soldiers are marching through Andorra..

Poor Monaco, tama 4 says it's a monster roaring and scaring people.
um ... okay ...

It always impresses me how the kids will say the shape of a country resembles an animal.
According to tama 4, this looks like an elephant.
Only one more week of this curriculum.  Can you believe it?


Mathematics

Geometry:  Tama 1 has, in less than a month, completed 14 lessons and tests.  He finished 14A and 14B this morning.  That means he's nearly halfway through MUS Geometry. Eeek. Will he finish it by Christmas y'think?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  I shall simply encourage him to continue to work at his own pace - as with everyone, naturally:  If things are going well, they progress with daily lessons. When they struggle they slow down - go backward if need be.

Mastery is key but more importantly an enjoyment of maths is my hope for everyone.

Algebra:  Tamāhine 1 completed 15A this morning.  She worked on half yesterday and finished the second half of the lesson this morning.  As I said above, working at their own pace is important.  She didn't finish it yesterday because she needed to get her head around it more.  This morning she did that.

Pre-Algebra:  Have you heard the one about how a homeschooled student never gets a math question wrong? Well, in tama 2's case that would be true indeed.  He won't move on until he's fixed up any questions he did not get right the first time.  He plugs away until he gets them all correct.  That's not to say he needs to fix half the lesson or anything, lol. He may get one or three wrong and he'll nut them out until they're right. By the time he sits the test, he knows the concept and is ready to proceed.

Delta:  Tama 3 will sit Test 3 tomorrow.  He's doing fine.  It's been incredibly easy, but I've not pushed him to do more than the one lesson each day.  His young mind is having to ask: "Do I multiply or divide?"  Easy enough for me to interpret that question and have the answer within a matter of seconds, but at nine years of age, I'll let him digest what he's been asked and hopefully figure out which way he's to proceed.  Word problems can be so horrid.  Like today, he multiplied instead of dividing.  The question was:

Milk is sold in two-litre jugs.  How many jugs must you buy to get 12 litres of milk?

I took him to the fridge and asked him how many two-litre bottles of milk we had.

Although we do go through the milk quickly, we have more in the fridge today because there were only three bottles of milk left at the supermarket yesterday, so we grabbed the lot.
Long weekend coming up (Labour Weekend) so I'd like to avoid grocery shopping if possible.
Within seconds he told me the correct answer.  I briefly reminded him to visualise the question, just like we've done using the Pyrex container to multiply how many millilitres there are et cetera, et cetera.  He was a happy chappy after that.

Tamāhine 2 and tama 5 continue with IXL.  I have even picked up MUS Primer to mix it up with tama 5 this week; just a couple of questions per day.


Reading

As I sit here trying to write the blog post, tama 5 has climbed up wanting me to read to him. He has brought with him the book which tamāhine 2 is reading:  Harry and the Lady Next Door. 

As you will recall, tamāhine 2 has just finished Reading Eggs.  

We are moving into Level 1 & 2 Readers now which is terribly exciting.  I don't push her to read any more than one book with me per day at the moment; I want her to develop that love of reading on her own.  (What a buzz it was to see her take up one of the books and start reading it as best as she could by herself yesterday!!  I stood back and just enjoyed the moment ... I sincerely hope this is the beginning. :))

This is what she has read/is reading:






We started the following book today.  
Adding images to the blog of the books she has read is to remind us in the future
exactly where she was at this stage of her reading journey.
There are no links included.
I'm quite sure it will take a number of days to read as it has at least four chapters. That's rather long for her. 

We are blessed to have four kids take to reading like ducks to water, and I admit I have struggled with this uphill climb with tamāhine 2.  The number of times I have cried (actually, I bet I'll still cry) and panicked and doubt my abilities :(  Allowing fear to override any faith I have in myself to teach her. Even contemplated sending everyone else to school so I can concentrate on tamāhine 2 only (I never truly entertained that thought more than a matter of minutes, though.  It really isn't an option for our family). Oh boy!  Difficult, and a tad on the depressing side.



IEW - Fix-It - Robin Hood

Week 24 Day 2.  They are doing well, with minimal errors.

I particularly appreciate the reminders in the student workbook of what they should mark at the top of each week's sentences.  It helps keep them on task.  (If anything, they might add more than is required, as opposed to leaving off required concepts shown in the reminders.)  This list of reminders is only in the first three books, so once they complete the next book in the series (Frog Prince, or Just Deserts) the reminders are different, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.


Taekwondo

Tamāhine 1 is grading on the 29th of this month.  She has her junior black belt, but now she's eligible for the full adult black belt.  We haven't taken any photos of late which is a pity.  It would be good to add something more current.



The weather has been so miserable, we've hardly had any fine spells at all.  Labour Weekend is set to be yet another wet one.  So, while it's fine the kids get out there and enjoy the fresh air as much as possible.

At least the temperatures are definitely getting warmer. :)  


One thing we'll be doing tomorrow is watching:


With the amount of raruraru that's been going down, especially in recent weeks, this last debate between Clinton and Trump will prove important for American voters.  It's going to be interesting, to say the least, whoever is elected.


And to finish off, here's what I'm watching this week:


A Passage to India - ENG SUB (full movie) by IndianMovies1

I did buy the book on Kindle, but, I noticed the movie was free online ... so I couldn't help myself. It's been donkey's years since I read the book, but I don't mind watching the movie first.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

1 comment:

  1. LOL! You knew for sure that I would be LOVING the video of South Island! I also loved reading about the Geometry successes - woo hoo Tama 1! How about all of your artists, so lovely!!

    Wow - "tiene leche?" lol - we go through it very fast, too! :-D

    Yes - I tuned in for the final debate last night...eeeek!!! I'd rather just hide inside Tama 5's shark X-(.

    ReplyDelete