Monday, 5 August 2013

Self-paced History Course with Veritas Press

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Okay, I want to record just a little bit about the fun we are having with:

 Old Testament Ancient Egypt
Self-Paced History Course
Remarkably we have already completed five weeks!  Tama 2 would say one of his favourite parts is the memorisation song.  It is really helping to cement his understanding because it's catchy and with the aid of the flashcards, he's learning the Old Testament in chronological order.

This self-paced course is 36 weeks in duration, which equals 160 lessons.

As luck would have it, I already had the bulk of the texts in our home library.  What I did buy though, was:
Volume Two should arrive later in the year.  It's pretty much just come off the presses; good timing, Maree! Can't wait to get it! Yes!

I can't describe it any better than you'll read at the websiteIt is written with the same kind of engaging style as the self-paced history course videos are.  Tama 2 looks forward to each instalment.  And that's what I was aiming for.  Finding something that grabs and holds his attention.  I know I don't need to say this, but kids all have different learning styles, different likes and dislikes when it comes to textbooks etc.  Tama 2 easily switches off if he finds things difficult, or uninteresting.  Five weeks down, and it's tama 2 who asks if we can do the next lesson.  Tau ke!!

This is by no means a review.  Good heavens, I haven't even scratched the surface, lol.  As always, I'm documenting what we're using; finding useful; recording for our schooling journey purposes and just putting it out there should it tickle anyone's fancy to look into.

Veritas Press have some online live classes which we could attend because the time converts nicely in Aoteara time, and they are endeavouring to provide more for overseas customers.  That's definitely worth a thumb's up from me.  Now, as for whether any of our kids have the opportunity to take something online ... well, I'll keep you posted.  You know me, (well, actually you don't, ha ha), so lets rephrase that. ...  Knowing me, I'll not rule it out.  Anything that clicks for one or all of the kids, I'll research it and then give it a go.  Like anything else, it all depends on how much herengi/moni is in the pūtea.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na
 

No comments:

Post a Comment