Friday, 8 March 2013

Kura

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Sunday just gone, tama 1 had a friend from Boy Scouts pop out for the day.  Nice young man.

He attends Te Kura o te Koutu.  This means he is taught in māori.  They also learn español - so every now and then I would hear the children speak in Spanish to each other (very simple stuff, but nevertheless, it was being used).  That is encouraging as a mum.  It is also encouraging for the tamariki because they have someone of their own age they can try out their language skills with.

Well, by the time his parents arrived to pick him up and we sat down to chat to become better acquainted (as you do), I started to get that question running through my head, "should we be sending our tamariki to a kura kaupapa?" Okay, there are plenty enough positive reasons for attending, right?

What pros are there to going to a kura kaupapa māori?

Pro #1:  They will be taught by relations (I have a first cousin and his wife who are teachers at that particular kura.  I also have another cousin at the kura kaupapa māori close to home.  I have a number of cousins teaching in Rotorua actually.)  So, the pro is: Whānau support.

Pro #2:  They would be taught māori through total immersion.

Pro #3:  Live, breathe, learn tikanga māori.  This is a HUGE point in favour of kura.

Pro #4:  Kura have proven they work ....

BUT

The trouble is, I really prefer homeschooling.  It works for us and I don't want to change that.  Somehow I have to "schedule" it in, as opposed to my casual method, lol.

Hmmm ... did thinking out loud on blogosphere help? 

A little, yeah!

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na
 

No comments:

Post a Comment