Monday, 3 September 2012

Looking forward to longer days and shorter nights

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Things have been much better since the "nit-week" and although I can't say that we are completely nit-free, I can at least say no one has felt like itching for at least five days.

On Monday last week I mentioned to our rural postie that we were waiting on a package - tama 1's chemistry lab kit.  Then on Tuesday morning, hello!, here it was.  Ka mau te wehi.

Our postie was just as curious as we were and came in to watch tama 1 open it up and join in our excitement.
Even though it's a basic kit, it's amazing how just a few tools of the trade can make one feel like a professional :)  Tama 1 looks pretty darn nifty with his lab glasses on.  We love the foot long thermometer especially!  I think we do the first lab journal work for next week's assignment.  Can hardly wait.

Four Tamariki Who Don't Know What The Inside of a Classroom Looks Like

Okay, you may recall I sent my Exemption Application away for our fourth child three Thursday's ago.  I've anxiously awaited the verdict since then.  I always figure no news is good news.  Well, each day last week I anticipated something in the mail and on Friday morning I went out to the mail box to check - but was too early for the postie.  Within ten minutes of sitting down, tama 3 came running inside from playing on the swings and asked if he could go and get the mail.  I stayed sitting at the table working with the big kids on their math, anxiously awaiting tama 3's return.  As soon as he walked in I recognised the envelope.  I didn't muck around opening it. I knew by the size it meant I had the exemption, yet I read it three times to make sure I wasn't fooling myself.  Oh my goodness, the relief!!!  The absolute relief.  Four exemption applications (since 2008?); and four acceptances!!  (Although I have always felt confident I would get each exemption through, I never truly relax until that wee envelope arrives with the Certificate.) 

Such was the relief of receiving the certificate we stopped mahi for a while and had a good long chat.  I let the children play outside and then I said they could either finish their math, or we could just spend the rest of the day making the cupcakes for grading on Saturday and enjoy this happy event.  Tamāhine 1 was determined to completely finish Math-U-See Delta, so I said okay and she pushed herself to complete Test 30 and the following Unit Tests.  She completely aced them all.  Kino kē koe e hine!!  Tama 1 completed Lesson 30 Test but chose to leave the remaining Unit Tests.  Imagine, next week he will commence Zeta.  Neat alright.  Let me think, Tama 2 completed Gamma 21B, C & D.

We made over 100 cupcakes (only a few to stay home for myself and the little ones; 100 for grading)
The batteries went dead as soon as I took the above photo - which is probably just as well, otherwise they may have taken the camera on Saturday and hello, flat batteries!!  I charged the batteries but forgot to take a photo before we placed all the cupcakes in containers Friday night.
We managed to make a cardboard shelf in each container to hold two layers of cupcakes.  I now wish I'd taken a photo of the prettier ones, but at 6 o'clock Saturday morning I was busy getting the kids fed and dressed to be away by 6.30am.  The chocolate swirling looked so much better than the photo shows ... but as long as they taste nice eh!!

Okay, let's go back a little bit.  What have we been doing since last week?

Well, tama 1 completed level 2 Mandarin.  He commences level 3 on Thursday, September the 6th with a new group of students.

Tama 1 and tamāhine 1 wrote up their blog posts for español, took advantage of the after chat class with Señora Schere and completed tarea on the weekend.  I quite like what they wrote for composicíon this week.  They have practiced their literatura and know it off by heart, so I'm very happy with our progress - all thanks to a terrific maestra!!!

We're really enjoying The Mystery of History.
Starting from Creation is the best!  The pace is gentle.  Lessons are short, pleasant and easy to move through.  I didn't do nearly as many activities as I would have liked last week. I was naughty because I was preoccupied with the exemption, ensuring we put in enough TKD practice, and was still trying to stay on top of the nit situation.  Will definitely improve on this area!!!


I am losing in the paper war at the moment.  I must sort out all the paperwork I've been printing out pronto because it's taking over the entire area by the printer which is not good :(

It doesn't take long to get out of control either - or is it just me?  Well, I better make it a priority this week to finish printing things off and file in individual folders.

Today I had to go to:
It's been a few years since I've been to the Māori Land Court, and this is the first time I've been in for a personal reason.  It was an in-and-out process.  Sit in the court room, wait our turn and less than five minutes later you're out the door and everything's kei te pai.

I think everything from mum's estate is now finally sorted thanks to a very nice tiati.  Well, just as soon as the paperwork comes through, then I don't think I have anything as executrix left to do.  Granted, it took me too long to get this last part sorted out, but when we had our own house dilemma going on, I took care of what was most urgent and left this last bit knowing full well we could sort it out ... but I did procrastinate a tad too long.  Hei aha, ka mutu ināianei.  No wonder it poured down today - mum saying thanks.

Because I had to go out, we started kura immediately following parakuihi.  Tama 1 worked on his Epsilon tests, but didn't quite finish (there are five pages to his exam).  He aced the two pages he did.  That leaves three pages to complete āpōpō.  Tamāhine 1 commenced Epsilon and completed the entire Lesson 1.  Tama 2 completed Gamma Lesson 21E only today.  He was distracted having his pāpā home.  Whaiāipo was home to watch them while I went to Te Kooti Whenua Māori.  So glad I didn't try taking them with me because there was a large rōpū from Waikaremoana there, so space was very tight, plus the process is so short and sweet it's over and done with before you've had time to say tēnā koe ki te tiati.

This afternoon we worked on whakapapa (family tree).  Tama 2 had to take this for tonight's Cub meeting.  Luckily we only had to go back as far as great grandparents.  Writing up the pākehā side is easy peasy, so documenting whaiāipo and my dad's side was a breeze, but squeezing in our Māori side, well, that certainly took a lot of effort.  I ended up leaving off my cousins tamariki because I simply ran out of room and time.  Yeah, it definitely wasn't the greatest work I've ever produced, but for the main part I think it served the purpose of what was required.  The really cool thing is that at least tama 2 can point at two of his great uncles names on the whakapapa and then turn around to the list of fallen soldiers from Rotorua who were also cubs/scouts during their youth and say, "These are my uncles who died during WWII.  One is buried in Germany and one is buried in England." I even made sure I wrote down the names of the grave yards where they are buried.  Tama 2 remembers only too well how much his nana loved her family and how nana would always talk about her brothers she lost during WWII.  My mum was such a legend when it came to whakapapa.  I'm nothing compared to mum and I'm rather reliant on my brothers to correct me all the time.  Koretake eh?!  Yeah.

That's enough rambling ... obviously getting tired, lol.

Seeing as tama 1 doesn't have Mandarin on a Tuesday now we will try to do some shopping āpōpō - well, that's the plan ... we shall see how we go.  If I can at least get some ink for the printer then that will help me organise that paper work!!!

Well, everyone's home.  Time to catch up with how their evening went.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na
 

No comments:

Post a Comment