Friday, 24 August 2012

Even with bugs; we still homeschool

Nau mai, hoki mai, and welcome back!

This week has been a mixed bag of good and not so terrific.  Let's get the icky side out of the way.

One word says it all .... nits !!!

Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

I thank the Lord for ensuring my washing machine has kept up with the many, many loads of washing I have had to do since Tuesday.

I thank the Lord for the fine weather we have had to get everything dry!!

I thank the Lord for showing me how to cope with the situation.  Although we aren't completely nit-free, we are at least able to recognise the horrid little critters now.  Never having experienced them before in my life, I didn't know what they looked like ... well, I am pretty darn sure I will never forget after this week, lol.

Anyway, that's probably all I want to talk about that subject, but just before I do get off that topic I will at least say that I am truly grateful to be homeschooling.  Having ngā tamariki at home means I can deal with them all in one fell swoop.  Plus, kura can continue without fear of us passing them on to anyone else.  At least we know where they got them from (not homeschoolers that's for sure!!!)

So, back to kura ...

Math-U-See
Tama 1 - finished Epsilon Lesson 29D
Tamāhine 1- finished Delta Lesson 29D
Tama 2 - finished Gamma Lesson 20B

I placed another order with LearnEx yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to receive an email that the order was sent yesterday afternoon.  Excellent!! We can simply roll on into the next levels without a hitch.  I'm quite excited that tama 1 will be working with decimals.  Lesson 29 in Epsilon converts fractions to decimals and percentage so he's already getting the idea which is great.

I had to laugh this morning because he asked me where the fraction overlays were.  Well, I knew exactly where they were ... only trouble was, they weren't there.  Granted, he hasn't used them since Lesson 1 Epsilon, and even then he only did a couple of sums with them before he didn't need them anymore.  Anyway, I happily went off to the shelf where they should've been and "hello!" they weren't there.  Well, instead of using my noggin and looking down the back of the shelf I went in search around the house didn't I?!!  To cut a long story short, I finally looked down the back of the shelf and sure enough there they were.  I wasted half an hour looking for them in which time tama 1 had figured it out and finished a page before I got back to him!!!  Oh well, at least I have now found the overlays a better home :)

Now, keeping with the subject of Math ... this week tama 1 had his lesson with Ms Gloria Brooks of Natureglo in:
I saw Ms Brooks advertising at CurrClick last year and knew that I'd be keen on this class, only trouble was ... the time of day!!  Plus I didn't think tama 1 was quite ready.  Well, thanks to CurrClick's NEW evening classes we are able to register this semester and join the live class.

What's super special is that this is the first time we've shared a class with more than one other kiwi family.  Gone are the days we were the only kiwi family - so yay, word is spreading.  We knew some Kiwi and Aussie families from previous classes.  Thirty students in all.  How awesome!!  I think Ms Brooks mentioned there were 20 or 21 students in the morning class.  Wow, that's a good number of students for her.  Tino pai.

I particularly like Ms Brooks' use of turning off chat - like when she's doing a powerpoint presentation etc!!!!  I like that a lot - keeps the students focused and on topic.  Big thumbs up from us :)

I've only ever "heard" of certain concepts mentioned in today's class before, with no understanding really as to their true meaning and function.  The video used really helped us all to understand in a fun, lighthearted way, so I'm looking forward to having my mind stretched with this class :)
We also started back this week with español.  So glad to be back con mi amiga Señora Schere. 

It felt strange not having tama 1 sit in with us - and he certainly looked as though he'd rather have been in español with us than doing his Chemistry class on his own.  I tried to swing back and forth between tamāhine 1 and tama 1 to keep him engaged and participate in his own online class.  He really misses his old classmates.  Hei aha, he will just need to knuckle down and concentrate on his Chemistry.  It may not be the same for him to watch the recording but it is the next best thing.  Last week he was fine because español hadn't started, but this week it was a struggle for him.  Fingers crossed it will be better next week.

I just thought, I must remind him he can always chat to his classmates in the Student Network still :)

Looking at tarea we are definitely moving up a notch.  This is exciting!!!  Los estudiantes are now required to work on composición.  Excelente.

I'm glad we did some revision too!!!   Tamāhine 1 was able to answer a number of things - we just hadn't covered the appropriate times to use ser y estar.  But, other than that, she did well.

Also, I am glad the headset worked on the computer we used.  For the last two semesters tamāhine 1 has always used my laptop, but my machine must have far too many things on it now because each time tamāhine 1 would click on the microphone, we seemed to get jammed.  The wee "thinking" circle would go round and round and we'd be waiting for it to come back on.  It was annoying!!!  So, this semester we're using one of the other desktops.  Only trouble is, I still feel it is too close to tama 1 while he's in his live class.  He became too distracted wanting to see what was happening in español.  There were a couple of times I asked him why he hadn't answered a question in Chemistry class because he most certainly knew it .... I knew full well what the reason was, but I needed to give him a gentle reminder to "concentrate!!"

We went over a lot of gramática y mucho vocabulario prior to clase.  Wow, it's amazing how much vocabulario we don't actually remember!!!  Tsk, tsk!!!  I reminded ngā tamariki that to be able to conjugate is a high priority.  It has to come second nature.  Vocabulario we can certainly improve on, but we must never fall behind in our understanding of gramática.

We love español.  ¡Señora Schere es una maestra fantástica!

Right, before we finish for the day:
  • we will start reading through some more Mystery of History Volume I.  There's an assignment which calls for Alphabet Soup.  I have absolutely no idea if it's even sold in Aotearoa.  Hee hee, I guess I'll find out!!!  We were given a great alternative idea ... scrabble pieces.  Our timeline figures haven't arrived yet .... made the fatal mistake of buying in NZ ... grrr, one of my pet peeves.  Here's me thinking I'll swallow paying extra and get it quicker from Aotearoa.  What-uh-mistake-uh-to-make-uh.  Anyway, we're only in the early chapters so it won't be too much trouble at this stage as we only have to worry about Adam and Eve, Jubal and Tubal-Cain and we can use the templates in the textbook for that.  Tama 1 has already made the 7 Days of Creation.
  • I also want to work on our notes for MathArt to submit on the class site.
  • Tama 1 is working on Mandarin.  He has one more lesson (Tuesday morning) and he's completely finished Level 2.  Next month he commences Level 3:
He has pointed out to me that the above says "Spring"and yet it is the "Fall" class.  
Oh well, I have no answer for that.

It's now 3.00 pm and I've only just hung out the last load of washing.  We've been blessed with a beautiful sunny day, so if I'm lucky this last bit of washing will get dry.  I certainly hope this warm, sunny weather is a sign of a good spring and summer to come :)

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na
 

No comments:

Post a Comment