Thursday, 5 July 2012

A Pictureless Post

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

I am amazed at the amount of accumulation in this house!!   Yes, indeed, I seem to be finding things on a daily basis that can be "boxed," ready for dispatch to Urban Ore.

Take today for example.  Well, actually it was thanks to the sanding by whaiāipo last night in the front room.  The dust got everywhere!!  It managed to creep it's way into the kitchen area.  So, this afternoon the children and I got started on a clean-up operation.  As we worked, I realised there were things that we simply don't require and decided it was as good a time as any to start sorting through our kitchen cupboards and pantry.  Bread plates coming out of our ears ... baby sippy cups ... unused mixing bowls ... too much clutter!!!

Being one room down (ie  everything has been cleared out of the front room) has meant rearranging other rooms and coming up with clever ideas to disguise "storage" while we work to complete that space.  It seems so hilarious to be talking about "painting" after all these years.

We had such a busy day yesterday.  It started off as normal but then I received a phone call late morning regarding an urgent appointment.  I got myself into such a flap!!!  I tried contacting whaiāipo but it took over an hour to hear back from him.  I was just about beside myself!!!  How ridiculous it seems to me now, but at the time I knew the appointment was urgent and all I was worried about was making sure whaiāipo made it because we couldn't change the date nor time!!!  Good heavens, what a drama queen I was.  What a relief when he finally returned my text message.  He came home just after midday so the rest of the afternoon went swimmingly.  Phew!!!

Kura (school) has been wonderful this week.  I am especially pleased with tamāhine 1's improvement with math.  Going back and revising the entire book has made an absolute difference.  She is now back to where things became slightly unstuck around New Year's with Lesson 22 and then stopping on Lesson 23 because I just knew she wasn't enjoying it.  The hard thing for her to accept is that she does know how to do it, but she doesn't enjoy putting in all the work!!  She's not lazy by nature, so her unwillingness really threw me, so rather than upset herself and myself, I pulled the plug on math and said we would take as long a break as necessary.

Well, the break has made all the difference in the world.  Granted, I did sit and help her to a certain extent today, but you could see she registered far more clearly than she did before.  I even played a Khan Academy video to show her there really is no short-cut to it.  So long as you're confident with your timetables you can do it.  Sometimes it can painfully slow because your "guess work" is well and truly off, but practice, trial and error is the only way.  Obviously it made all the difference that I sat and discussed most of it today, but when I did leave her to try a few on her own, she was perfectly fine.

Tama 1 and tama 2 are both doing well with their math.  I was pleasantly surprised at how easily tama 2 picked up the nine timetables.  He didn't even require the gimmicky tricks.  He just picked it with ease.  He's now working on the six timetables.  He still misinterprets the odd sentence question, but that will improve over time because tama 1 and tamāhine 1 were exactly the same.

Considering the kids all have coughs (again), they have happily got on with mahi.  They never wait to be asked to get out their books, nor do they sit twiddling their thumbs if they have completed something.  If they see I am busy, they know how to find something else to do.

Well, it's taken me that long to write this little post.  Everyone is home from TKD.  We have moved our dining table to sit behind the main computers because tomorrow we set up some musical instruments to share with our music teacher, Ms Lindsey first thing in the morrow.  Can hardly wait :)



Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na
 

No comments:

Post a Comment