Friday, 1 June 2012

A Pinch and a Punch for the 1st of the Month - Happy Winter :)

Nau mai, hoki mai, talofa lava and welcome back!

How was the weather in your part of the country on this first day of winter?  It was utterly beautiful in Rotorua.

Friday - and the first week back in school has drawn to a close. 
One of the tasks tama 2 is required to carry out for Cubs is to either sew a badge or button onto a shirt.  We chose a button, because as it happened, a button came off tama 1's shirt.  Considering it was his first time hand-sewing, he made a pretty good job.  Yes, he was all fingers and thumbs, but he got it done :)

Tama 1 started back with CurrClick classes this morning.  Zoology at 8.00am with Mrs Mackin.
Being the first lesson of any live class, there is always extra time spent outlining the course schedule, rules and discussion of forthcoming topics.  The students were attentive and stayed on topic in the chat pod with good feedback on the slides and videos.

Lesson 1 and Aotearoa already has a mention - the takahe.  (I remember seeing them when I worked in Fiordland.)  Pretty cool New Zealand makes it into the textbook within the first lesson eh?! hee hee

The breakout session went really well.  The students worked on the mnemonic phrase which is always fun.

I'm really going to enjoy this class.  Learning about flying creatures will be really interesting and if there's one thing about Jeannie Fulbright's textbooks that I like, it's the "What do you remember?" questions.  Tama 1 recalls information a lot better than his mum I can tell you!! So I like going through the lessons again myself to try the questions on my own.  :)
Tama 3 sat down and wrote out the alphabet while tama 1, tamāhine 1 and tama 2 worked through MUS.
He drew lines across the page himself and made a valiant attempt at writing his letters.  Considering that's the first time he's gone through the entire alphabet, I think he did superbly.  Tama 1 wrote tama 3's name at the end and he copied that very nicely.

Spelling in the afternoon for half an hour.  Tama 1 started with AVKO.  I gave him 50 words.  Tamāhine 1 and tama 2 are working with Spellodrome today.  The screen certainly looks different to the last time we used it (shows how long ago that's been).  I think I'll leave it to the kids to let me know what's new etc.  I set them half an hour each (well, tama 1 possibly finished a little ahead of the others).

We finished off the day with reading till about 5.00pm and practiced some TKD.

Because tamāhine 2 and tama 4 are still coughing I don't really know what we'll do over the weekend.  I have a feeling I'll be staying home trying to get them on the mend.  If that's the case, I will set myself the goal of completing tamāhine 2's exemption.


Thanks for dropping by
Tofa soifua - Samoan for goodbye (or just Tofa)
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na

No comments:

Post a Comment