Friday, 25 May 2012

Time to dust off the boxes of curricula

Over the past week I have resurrected Filing Boxes with all the curricula and other homeschooling resources I have purchased over the years.  My word!!!  It's amazing how much I have.  It would be a scary exercise to add up exactly how much I have spent over the years.  Money well spent - however much that is.

Anyway, the point of the exercise was not to clutter our lounge with boxes of Language Arts, Foreign Languages, Science etc, but rather, to see if we owned certain books.  For example, I couldn't remember if I had purchased Latin for Children.
Yay, I do have it :)  Most excellent.  I really want to start tama 2 with Latin and want to try LFC instead of Prima Latina with him.  No particular reason, I just want to see which style works for him.
Tamāhine 1 can get back into Visual Latin.  She is not ready to tackle Lingua Latina.  I am confident she can move into that once she advances with Español.  This semester I wish to revise Español and Latin.  By the following semester we should be good to move it up another notch.  But as for Greek .... well, not sure when to slot that in yet.  It'll definitely have to wait till I've got tamāhine 2's exemption approved.

Funnily enough, it was while I was trying to remember if I had this curricula that I thought to myself, "Hey, check My Library Thing."
Gosh, it's been nearly six months since I've updated our books!!!  Golly, that means I've got a bit of work to do to update My Library.  Hei aha.  I've at least recorded the new books we received this week.

Tamāhine 1 read her first Famous Five book last year and she loved it.  I enjoyed these books when I was young and in fact, the many Enid Blyton hardcover books I read are still at nana and koro's.  Well, a couple of weeks ago I decided I'd get her the next two in the series:

I also decided to buy the Survival Guide:

Well, they arrived today and she's very happy indeed.  She's already ploughing through the Survival Guide making codes for her brothers to decipher.

I've made sure I've loaded these books to My Library Thing, so I feel like I've accomplished something today :)

Ngā tamariki tāne are very boisterous today.  So glad to hear noise and have all the kids running in and out of the house, especially to give tama 3, tamāhine 2 and tama 4 all the attention they can.  Once we get back into schoolwork, it's back to the kids taking turns with them.  Somehow or other, we manage to make it work when school is in session.  The main key is not to look at the clock and say, "there's still 20 minutes left guys! no time for playing yet!"  Nope, it's much better to just let the interruptions occur.  Overall they don't stack up to a big deal.

One of the other books that arrived today was:
Remember the other week I was looking at Sonlight?  Well, these books were on the list.  They're just the kind of thing I would have read ... I loved anything detective - comes from having a father as a policeman with a childhood ambition to follow my dad!!!  Anyway, tamāhine 1 has finished Third-Grade Detectives #1 - The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope. It's such an easy read, tama 2 will manage it.  I'll get him started with it after he finishes Mrs Piggle-Wiggle.

We'll be using Lesson Pathways to do some exercises with Mrs Piggle-Wiggle.  I feel terrible I'd forgotten about Lesson Pathways!!!  But that's what happens with homeschooling multiple ages.  Even with a list of websites to remind me of things, I just don't get back to some for a while.

What a good end to the week.  I've discovered resources I wasn't sure we had and we've got more books to read. I've got a reasonably clear idea of what we will cover this semester, so now it's just a matter of making individual timetables.

I think I'll leave it there as I want to go through all the material in these boxes and type up their timetables.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na

No comments:

Post a Comment