Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Flexibility of homeschooling

Nau mai, hoki mai, talofa lava and welcome back!

Tama 2 had a sick day today - has a bug that's going around.  Luckily it was an absolutely glorious autumn day so he was able to relax in the sun all day long.  Tama 1, tamāhine 1 and tama 3 helped with a big clean up courtesy of tama 4.  Toys, shoes and books were discarded everywhere.  Formal school work didn't get underway until 10.30ish, (not forgetting tama 1 received his prize today so we took some time to check it out).

Once the housework was out of the way, we got started on math.  I had to stifle a giggle as tama 1 used a very grown up voice as he spoke to me about a particular lesson !!!  Who would believe he only turned 10 years old a few months back, with the grown up language he has under his belt, lol.  I believe it was developed because nana and koro were his caregivers for the first two or three years while I still worked.

After an enjoyable lunch tama 1 and tamāhine 1 worked on their cursive handwriting and just as we were about to settle into reading, Uncle Warrick rang to say his split shift was going to be extra long.  Unfortunately tama 2 was not up for a hīkoi, so he asked if he could take the older two to visit mum at the urupa.

When he called in to pick the kids up, I asked if he'd mind posting a package for me.  I'd been talking to my friend the other day and she asked about our 39 Clues collection and would I mind lending them to another friend.  So, I used my noggin and placed the books into the Amazon box that the Snap Circuits prize came in and packaged that up ready to go.  I'd have sent it off with the postie this morning, but at that stage I wasn't organised with a box.  Really handy my younger brother came along :)  The next time he has a long split shift, I'll ask if he'll do some cooking with tamāhine 1 and tama 2.  They love cooking with him - and I love watching his culinary expertise.

Tama 1 is off to Pak 'n' Save tonight with his scout troop.  They are doing an exercise on learning how much it will cost to take their troop to camp.  Seeing as whaiāipo goes along with him, I've assigned him some grocery buying of our own. :)  Nothing like killing two birds with one stone nē rā?

As I sit here composing this post, and glance over to see how tamāhine 1 is getting with her reading, I notice she is nearly finished The Famous Five #2 Five Go Adventuring Again.  That's practically five chapters in less than 45 minutes.  Tama 2 is hanging in there, but really needs to go to bed.  A few coughs are coming from the younger three ... yay, I'm in for an enjoyable long weekend.  Hei aha.

Before I go, I will add some photos Uncle Warrick took of the kids from one of their hīkoi.  We are spoiled for choice when it comes to short, medium, easy, difficult walking tracks in Rotorua.





On my To Do List tomorrow:  Measure either tama 1 or tamāhine 1 and email Mrs. Rhodes about the t-shirt they won from the End of Year Party last week at CurrClick.  Yep!! Another prize!!!

And just to finish this post off ... tamāhine 1 has finished the book :)


Thanks for dropping by
Tofa soifua - Samoan for goodbye (or just Tofa)
ka kite ano
Naku noa, na

No comments:

Post a Comment