Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Grateful to be with our tamariki

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!!!

We started out with quite a heavy frost this morning, but tamāhine 1 jumped up out of bed for her two early morning classes, namely:
and of course:
 
Tamāhine 1 has thoroughly enjoyed the past Narnia book club meetings in The Chronicles of Narnia so it's such a no-brainer to progress to the next book with Toni Williams.

An hour seems to pass so fast it feels like we're just starting to discuss things when it's time to say goodbye for another week.  Toni manages to bring the characters of the books alive, and really gets us all thinking about certain aspects behind the meanings of different scenes which I doubt I'd have considered myself if I'm honest.  He tauira ahau.

Tamāhine 1 actually had a sore throat today and when it came to Lessons Worth Learning Reader's Theater (or Theatre as we spell it in our neck of the woods, lol) she intially indicated she'd take a pass on reading.  However, she changed her mind as one would have expected.  She didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to try out her acting skills with her kindred spirits.  They have all put their heart and soul into reading their parts with gusto.  No wonder they don't like to finish class!!  It's just too much fun.

Now, I don't know about you, but I certainly feel like the weeks are whizzing by too fast.  I wish I could slow every day down.  I am trying to savour every moment, but it seems like the children are growing up so fast whether I like it or not.  It's funny isn't it?  We want our children to achieve.  We get excited at the prospect of new things they can do when they reach a certain age.  We celebrate their accomplishments with them.  And yet there's a side that doesn't wish them to grow up so quickly.  Really crazy, isn't it?  But, I guess that's life.

The above was running through my mind as I scanned tama 2's cursive handwriting this morning. On the one hand I was thinking he could have done better, yet on the other hand I had one of those pangs of, "aww, he's only six years old and his writing is developing beautifully," and suddenly I'm wishing we could stay right here in the moment.

Yesterday I had him re-write his work because it was obvious he had rushed.  Perhaps I could have made him rewrite today's effort for having crossed out two things, but  really, unless it is a blatant attempt at rushing like yesterday, then I am happy to praise efforts such as the above.

Whāia te mātauranga! Pursue education!

I kept thinking of the above command all day today, so I thought I'd throw it in to close this post.  And, as I finished reading one book, trying to decide on the next, I savoured the moment of my furthering my own education, thanks to being part of our children's education.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment