Saturday, 21 May 2011

Reflecting on lessons this gorgeous autumn day

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Over the past fortnight we've been learning about Ancient Egyptian Priests, Mummies and More, as well as another course called Volcanoes, Plate Tectonics and More.
These courses are run slightly differently to some of our other online classes.  The live classes are still run through Adobe Connect, but a list of activities, links to websites, forum and live chats are under Moodle.  Having personally had a tiny bit of experience with Moodle from a few years back, I decided to enrol the children in these classes because I liked the additional features within Moodle.

We can't attend the online classes (because it's 3am New Zealand time), but we can still take part in live weekly chats and participate in forum questions.  Yes, we would like to join in the live classes, but one of the deciding factors for me, was the fact that they were advertised as "attendance not compulsory." Both classes are of interest to us and knowing we can access everything on Moodle 24/7, I reckon it's all good value.  Ms Jean also tries to accommodate all families by arranging live chats at a time convenient - wherever we are around the world.  That's truly super.

Hopefully I feel better rested by next week's classes because I'd love to get the children up to join in at least one online class - yes, 3am.  We've done it before with other classes, but following my miscarriage I'm feeling rather tired still.  What I wouldn't give for one day to just sleep-in, or just laze about to recoup a bit faster!  However, I'd like to think I'll be okay to get up and join in this week.  It's all just one day at a time still, so we shall have to wait and see.

We have two activities we need to complete before classes, and with luck they'll both be done by Sunday night.  They are both fun activities, but of course I cannot break any copyright laws by mentioning anything here, but again, they are things which I like about the course.  Activities provided for each week to keep things interesting, fun and hands-on.

Tamāhine 1 starts back with her Book Club this week.  She's really looking forward to it, which is great.  I'm so pleased she didn't hesitate to join in the discussions with the last class.  That was one of the goals I had when registering her the first time, so I am thrilled she did so without hesitation.  Being whakamā isn't such a bad thing, but teaching the children how to move out of their comfort zone is a challenge when I'm rather whakamā myself, lol.
Mathematics is slowly moving along.  Tama 1 is up to Epsilon Lesson 8.
Mr Demme shows about three different methods for working out these equations.  The methods make sense, and as I watch tama 1 working on his exercises I feel excited seeing him achieve more and more difficult math.  Tamāhine 1 is working her way through Delta Lesson 9 which is all about finding the area of a triangle.  Tama 2 is on Beta 11 - rounding to the nearest hundred.  It will be interesting to see how he gets on with subtraction which he will revise shortly.  Up until now it's all been addition, and because we've been working through the book very slowly, it will be interesting to see how he copes with the few review questions about subtraction.
Friday afternoons are still fun at Chapman College.  We will certainly enjoy each opportunity to participate for as long as possible.  We are still aware our involvement may be restricted to only one term, and that's okay.  At least the children and I have finally met up with other homeschoolers in our area.  So even if Chapman comes to an end at the end of the term for our family, we've at least made new friends.
We need to move back into Latin this week.  Tama 1 will start reviewing with Lingua Latina.  I need to calculate the chapters by putting them on our calendar so we don't start losing our knowledge base.  I also need to plot tamāhine 1's lessons to complete Prima Latina.
The past fortnight I've just not followed any timetable which must change!

The children enjoyed acting as patients at yesterday's St John exercise.  They were there by 7.30am as required and enjoyed themselves all day.


 
Whaiāipo was asked to be a patient when he dropped the children off, but because he had tama 3 with him, it would've been too difficult to play a patient while keeping an eye on tama 3 in such an open space.  Had I known, I would've kept tama 3 home with me, but we'll definitely keep it mind for the next exercise programme. Anything to help out eh?

Well, that's probably enough for today.  Time for lunch and to start thinking about working on our exercises for Ancient Egyptian Priests, Mummies and More and Volcanoes, Plate Tectonics and More classes.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment