Friday, 6 May 2011

First Day at Chapman College as Homeschoolers

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Thankfully, whaiāipo had the day off today to look after the three little ones for me.

It felt important that I give my full attention to watching and learning how the Friday classes operated at Chapman College.  Had the three young ones been with me, I know darn well my time would have been spent watching and chasing them all day.  Quite frankly, I want the Friday classes to be for the three big kids to enjoy without worrying about watching what's happening with their younger siblings.

We enjoyed our day -- even if we did arrive an hour too early!!!!  That wasn't a problem in the end as it goes because we took off in the van and drove around taking photos in preparation for St John on Monday, and Science class on Tuesday.

The first class was choir which is 45 minutes.

Following choir it's a quick race to recorder class.
After recorder (which is a half-hour lesson), we have a 15 minute lunch break.  The children and I sat in the van and scoffed down our kai.  Then it was straight back inside.  At this stage the children split.  Tama 1 and tamāhine 1 with the 8-10 year olds and tama 2 with the 5-7 year olds.

I tagged along with tama 2.  I figured it best to tautoko him as tama 1 and tamāhine 1 were their own tautoko team.

Tama 2 LOVED the sport class.  We were in the gymnasium today because it was much too wet to play soccer outside.  It made no difference tama 2 had a lot of fun.  While tama 2 had sport, tama 1 and tamāhine 1 had music in the auditorium.

As soon as the bell rang, it was a quick change of room.  Tama 2 moved to Te Reo Māori while the other two went to the gymnasium.

When the bell rang the second time, tama 2 headed to the auditorium for music while tama 1 and tamāhine 1 went to Te Reo Māori.

By the time classes finished, it was well after 3pm.  The children weren't the least bit tired, and as I draft this posting, (7.30pm), they are all in the front room practicing their recorder!!!!!  It's only mum who is feeling tired.  As much fun as it was to be sitting on the sidelines watching, it's definitely different for me.  I'm used to rushing about doing something.  Today was like a holiday in a way for me.  However, in the back of my mind I kept thinking, "I've got Classical Studies to catch up with ... I've got this and that to do ...."

And that was our first day - as homeschoolers - at Chapman College, Rotorua.  I'm glad it's on a Friday because we can achieve our mahi at home as usual and get a day off having fun at Chapman on Friday.

Good to expose the children to "normal" school life, so they could see what the inside of a school looks like, and watch the behaviour of students.  An interesting dynamic.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment