Thursday, 24 March 2011

In answer to my own question from yesterday

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

Following my quick post last night, I decided to email the host site regarding accessing their webinar next week.  This morning I received a really lovely response.  The answer: Yes.  Simply sign up to join the webinar and shortly thereafter I would receive an email providing directions on how to gain access.  I was advised to scroll down the email where I'll find instructions on how to set it up using Skype.

I followed the instructions to the letter and after reading how to set up the Skype contact, I decided to set try a dumby run.

It felt like I'd won a prize when I heard the recorded message!!!  Exciting stuff for this middle-age mother :-)  So, I've made sure I've converted the time from TUESDAY, MARCH 29th, at NOON to 1 PM Pacific Daylight Time to WEDNESDAY, MARCH 30th, from 8.00 AM to 9.00 AM New Zealand Daylight Time.

This brings me to my next point.  When I look for lessons and webinars, I have always relied on my handy Fox Clocks located at the bottom of the screen in the status bar to calculate the different times.  I love having them so handy because not only do I know what time it is in Kuwait to talk to my big brother, or my second brother in Canberra, but I also have some of the US time zones as well.

Moving along ...

Well, around 11 o'clock last night my brother Craig asks if I have the latest version of Mozilla Firefox; ie  version 4.  I checked and realised I didn't.  So, I went ahead (as yah do) and downloaded the new version.  Only to discover, shock - horror!!! Fox Clocks in NOT compatible with the latest version!!!  OH WHAT?!!!!  Well, for me that's a nightmare.  I have relied on seeing the times at a glance, so needless to say around midnight I decided to return to version 3.6.15.

Craig found some other world clocks but so far they don't sit in my status bar like I prefer.  If anyone happens to know of something similar to:
(I've tried to stress it to make it easier to read)

then I'd love to hear from you.

I prefer Mozilla Firefox to Internet Explorer.  I know a lot of people moved over to Chrome - been there, done that - but I am happy with the speed and capabilities of Firefox.  I just hope they rectify the Clocks, and at least I know I'm not the only one to miss them - in my google search I read a few comments in agreement with my sentiment.

But anyway, that's only part of what I'm prattling on about....

I have now signed up to a number of online courses which are taught from different parts of the United States.  I love them - can't get enough of them!  But before you consider taking classes this way here is my advice:
  1. Check how many weeks the class is running.
  2. Which time zone is it in?
  3. Convert into New Zealand time (just like you converted the price!!!)
  4. Look at your calendar; does New Zealand either lose or gain daylight savings during the period of the class?
  5. Look at your international calendar; does the State from which the class is held lose or gain daylight savings during the period of the class?
The last two points are incredibly important for scheduling.  For New Zealanders, we are better off finding classes that are held in the afternoon (US time) because it will mean a starting time somewhere between 7am to 10am in New Zealand. UNLESS your attendance is not compulsory then go ahead and book into classes that run at 3am NZ time!!!

Hopefully this tale explains to you why I love Fox Clocks so much.  Otherwise it highlights I spend far too much time on the internet looking for online lessons, lol.

Regardless, I've learned how to participate in a live webinar using Skype next week.  I can hardly wait.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment