Friday, 14 January 2011

Continuing my own education journey

Nau mai, hoki mai and welcome back!

As soon as I received my last kete from Te Wananga o Aotearoa last year, I started thinking about what I would study next.  Well, I looked over everything on offer through TWOA, but a little voice inside my head kept telling me it was time to head back towards my degree.

You will (I hope) follow my method of madness as to the path I'm taking to get back towards the degree after you read along further ...

Okay, just before Christmas I enrolled with Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu (Correspondence School NZ).  My chosen course of study? Classical Studies - NCEA Level 2.


I'm no stranger to the Correspondence School because I have studied with them in the past ~ over a decade ago now, but nevertheless, I am still an old student.  I'm also not a stranger to the Correspondence School because three of our kids have been enrolled at one stage or another in the Early Childhood programme.  In fact, I had a phone call today to confirm tama 3's application has been approved, so he'll be the fourth child to enjoy their resources.  (By the time I learned of their ECH programme, tama 1 was already 6 or 7? making him ineligible.)

So anyway, I've got my work cut out for me now... two littlies enrolled in ECH, three big kids homeschooling, mythology course for tama 1 and my own classical studies to boot.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering why I didn't choose to sign up with Massey University to continue my extramural studies? Well, I have three main reasons, and they are (in no particular order):
  1. The price to enrol through Massey, I just couldn't afford straight off the cuff.
  2. I do intend taking classical papers to go towards my "eventual" degree through Massey, either next year or 2013, but (and this may sound vain,) I want to get a better grade than B- which is the best I achieve when I'm juggling everything in my life.  Just for once, I'd like to think I could get a much higher grade.
  3. Because our homeschooling method is classical, I need to educate myself to be of some sort of beneficial assistance to the children.  Mind you, I can't say I can be worried for tama 1 ... the other day as we read the Introduction in Edith Hamilton's Mythology text, he drops into our conversation about Greek gods, "they were polytheistic I think..." ~ "WHAT?!," I thought to myself, "how on earth do you know that?!" -- My goodness, I didn't know those sorts of terms until I took my Hinduism and Buddhism paper a few years back!!! Let's see, I would've been 41 or 42 when I studied that, and here he is at 8 (okay, nearly 9 years of age), telling me the Greeks and Romans were polytheistic!!!!  -- guess who'll be asking her son when she's stuck doing her classical studies, LOL.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my own education continues this year.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment