Thursday, 14 October 2010

Resting up before the start of Term 4

Late last week I had such a pleasant surprise in my Inbox:-

Dear Maree,

Congratulations on being one of Monthly prizewinners for completing one of our recent on line surveys.

You have won your choice of size in the Treasures Ultra Nappy range of New Born, Infant, Crawler, Toddler, Walker, Junior. Please select the ONE size and confirm your address as X-Y-Z so we can arrange for Treasures to courier you out this prize.

Once again, Congratulations and thanks for taking the time to complete our feedback survey, we really appreciate it.

The Team of Mums at REACH ME


How cool is that, huh? Pretty darn exciting - wow! I won something!

[ When I emailed my reply, I asked if it would be okay to mention it in my blog.
I was given the thumbs up. ]

Considering I'm still a few years away from having a nappy-free zone, winning free nappies is a welcomed gift to me. I'm glad I took the time to fill in the online survey!

I've received a couple of goodies with ReachMe, (promotional products) so this is such a bonus! As such, I figure it's only fair to give them a bit of a plug.

ReachMe reminds me of the old days when I subscribed to the Treasures magazine. I'd look forward to the next issue and devour it page after page.

Anyway, I look forward to reading ReachMe -- it's nice to have a bunch of mums to catch up with ... even if I don't know them, lol

On another tangent ... I lost all my backup files and photos a few weeks back. This isn't the first time and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now. Well, in a way I had, but it was still annoying that some things are completely gone. For the most part, however, it's just not a bother to me because I've got my photos uploaded to lots of different places. BTW, did you know your photos on your blogs are stored in Picasa? Excellent huh?!

As for documents, well I've got around that too. Most homeschooling stuff I would've downloaded from
Currclick. Once I remembered that, all I had to do was download them again. Then I emailed the other main curricula retailers I use and asked if I could get my files, and one-two-three there you are! Most excellent indeed.
It only took me a couple of weeks and I had all the important documents I wanted.

... It got me thinking about how many computers I've owned in my lifetime, and wow, it turns out I've owned quite a few!!! ...

But anyway, there was a direction I was actually wanting to head with this little tale, and that was to say, if you have backup files, then don't rely on storing just one copy of everything on disks, flash drives, etc. Copy them a couple of times for better safekeeping. Or else, if you're like me, you've become such an old hat about it all, that losing it means nothing anymore. So long as I have my photos uploaded straight away from camera to Harvey Norman Photos or Snapfish, Picasa, Facebook or wherever else, then that's the most important things taken care of (in my opinion).

The other thing it prompted me to mention, is to put in a plug for Diigo. I have all my bookmarks saved on Diigo. Why? Cos when your computer completely dies, all your bookmarks go with it. By having them loaded to Diigo, you can buy a new computer and hey presto, there they are when you start your new machine. [ Well, it's not QUITE like that, but that's the general result. ] The other wicked thing I love about it, is that when I travel away, I can STILL access them. I don't have to remember the names of all the hundreds of bookmarks I have, I can simply log in to Diigo and away I go.

Oh yeah, I finished tama 2's Application for Exemption within a matter of days. His 6th birthday isn't until the end of November, but I decided to start last Saturday morning and I got on such a role, I had a complete draft by mid-afternoon. I'll get that away by the end of this month, but it's a great feeling knowing it's ready to go. Funnily enough, working on the exemption gave me the perfect reason to buy a new printer ... our old colour printer has done its dash. So, I bought new one ... free delivery PLUS because it's a Brother, I get to claim the GST back. What a total win-win situation!! It's been fun printing things out again, especially the exemption. And get this! I can sit in bed with my laptop and print from here to the printer downstairs!!! How totally crazy! [ Okay, so that's probably boring news to some, but to me, that's rather revolutionary. ]

There are a few reasons why I worked on it so far in advance - - the main reason is because I have to be prepared in case we have to move house. I won't dwell on that point too much, but those who know me will know exactly what I'm saying here. So, yes, it was important to get that checked off my To Do List. So yay! I've done that, and it feels very, very good.

My de-cluttering/spring cleaning, is proving to be just the right distraction I need at present, and I'm pleased with what I've achieved to date.
  • Our front room-cum-classroom is a mere skeleton of its former self. I haven't sifted through all the school work yet - - but that's next on the list.
  • Clothes are being handed on to other families.
  • H-U-G-E clear out in the shed. Anything from the old business days has now been disposed of, ie up up up in a puff of smoke!!! goodbye, good riddance.
One of the last tasks I wanted to check off my list was create and order photo albums. Even with losing my files, I was able to access all photos, upload and order both albums. It was a total marathon effort, and for that I'm grateful I have this laptop. The end results are fantastic. I'm very, very happy with that effort.

Our next school term begins on Monday. We ended up taking a school holiday, and it was probably a good idea. I wouldn't have accomplished any of the above without the break. The three big kids spent a few days with Koro and Warrick and I think everybody enjoyed that break. I missed them immensely, but I'm pleased as punch they're getting this valuable time with dad and Warrick every month.

The last thing I want to achieve by this weekend: catch up with all the blogs I have fallen behind reading in Google Reader. That's gonna be quite a mission and a half, but oh well, it just helps I enjoy them all I guess, eh?!

And then ... as soon as I've caught up with all of them, I'll be reading the rest of the 39 Clues chapter books and hopefully help tama 1 find the last 4 clues we [ oops! I mean ' he ' ] needs.

Back to school next week. Can hardly wait to see what we learn ...


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

Oh, and one last thing. I made the decision to knock back my coffee intake. I've got it down to three cups a day. Now THAT'S pretty unreal for me !!! I'll be so pleased it I can keep it at three a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment