Thursday, 28 October 2010

I don't want to call it a review, but I guess it actually is really!?!

I'm not one to write reviews, and although I've read many blogs with reviews, my method of writing one won't follow anyone else's style because I prefer to just chat to you about Youngzine and hope you'll take my thoughts into consideration should you wish to check it out for yourself. I'll simply tell you the four, no five, no actually six reasons why we like this website.

Nota Bene: We've been using it for (maybe) a month hence only a handful of top reasons why we like it. I'm sure that once we use it longer, I could easily add another handful of good reasons about it. For example, we haven't tried the quizzes yet. So I can't tell you anything about them.

But here goes:
  • The BIGGEST reason: it comes EVERY week. That's very different to the other online newspaper for kids website we receive, which is fortnightly. I much prefer having the articles more frequently. That way tama 1 is aware of the news articles because they are still fresh in his mind from seeing, hearing, or discussing events throughout the week, so they are therefore very current.
  • LOVE the bright look of the web page. Okay, so maybe that's a bit of a wishy-washy reason to highlight as a point, but it really does make a difference to have something clean- and bright-looking. It is more inviting and engaging in my opinion. It gives ME the impression the website will be easy to navigate -- which, I believe, Youngzine is, for example subjects are clearly marked and therefore easy to move between one or the other. It's not "busy" with advertising.
  • LOVE the video links -- having visuals is always a helpful device, especially if the younger kids want to participate -- they don't necessarily have to understand the article, but if they can watch a video clip, then they gain some kind of insight and understanding too.
  • The owners/developers have really nailed it on the head being able to write in a style that MEETS THEIR TARGETED AUDIENCE !! I know the owners/developers wanted something for their 11 year old son that would be engaging and educational for him, and it's very obvious they have kept this reason at the forefront of their minds as they publish each newsletter. If our eight year old son can be engrossed with each article, and is able to interpret what is being said, then that makes me very happy.
  • Another good thing about it? Well, Youngzine not only encourages children to express their views (comments section at end of each article), but they can submit their own articles, book reviews or travelogues with the content being moderated by an editorial team. I'm secretly hoping that ONE day, tama 1 (or any of the kids for that matter -- it's just a case of them getting a bit older!!), will consider submitting something.
  • There's no annoying advertising - especially the unsavoury type!! Even on kid-safe websites some will have advertising which none of us want or need, so I think that warrants a mention. For me, personally, Youngzine is just what it says it is: engaging and interactive.
I have searched for months and months to find something which would be useful for our family, and Youngzine provides exactly what I want!!! At long last, our eldest is able to read current affairs -- in a safe environment. I'm not having to panic about what articles might be included because it is meeting the level of it's target audience -- unlike paper newspapers, or television news, etc.

I believe they do meet their goal which is:
"to help parents and educators create a vibrant community of globally aware young citizens in an increasingly connected world. Along with news stories written specifically with our young audience in mind, Youngzine strives to inform using fun trivia, compelling visuals and videos."
All I can tell you is that I searched for donkeys ages trying to find something suitable for us. At long last I feel like we've finally got the exact online news website that I've been wanting.

I haven't mentioned to tama 1 that I was going to write about it, but I will at least close off with what he said to me yesterday as he read some more news articles ...

"I really like this website!"

Simple, direct and straight from the heart. Said with absolutely no coercion from me!!! Can't really top that eh?!

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

BTW: You're probably asking this question: Is it free? The answer? YES!!! Most definitely

No comments:

Post a Comment