Sunday, 5 September 2010

Happy Father's Day

Considering we spent the last few days at a cousin's tangi, it was important we celebrated life today. So, the children and I did our best to share as pleasant and enjoyable a day as we could with whaiāipo and koro.

For whaiāipo we started the day off making him breakfast in bed. Mid-morning we headed up to nana and koro's armed with lunch etc. The kids didn't realise I'd have them back in the van as quick as they had got out. They headed upstairs to greet koro and then I ushered them back to the van. They were in for a wee treat themselves ... whaiāipo took the three big kids for luge rides!
Even though they had to wait in line for nearly 45 minutes (each ride!) they nevertheless stood in line being very well behaved and for the first time ever, they shared in the excitement of luging with their dad. They were absolutely buzzing -- as one would expect -- but I loved the fact that whaiāipo really relaxed and enjoyed himself too. Considering I had a much grander gift for him, I was fairly sure racing down the luge tracks would give him (almost) as much of a buzz as the other idea. I shall simply have to keep the idea tucked away for next year.

I think it was close to 2 o'clock by the time we sat down to kai with koro, Aunty Adelaide and Uncle Craig. Uncle Warrick had mahi today, arriving shortly before 3pm. My brothers and I had basically celebrated Father's Day since Friday night. We all chipped in and enjoyed a sumptuous meal Friday night and spent the the entire weekend together.

(Sunday) We missed out on the symphony orchestra, but we'd already decided to pass on it because we had relations to catch up with and of course, Craig and Aunty Adelaide were heading back to Auckland, so time was tight especially when koro was heading out to my home town, Murupara, at 3.30pm. Timing was everything, but we did a fine effort as it goes. I am so proud of the kids for being so obedient to do as they were asked without complaint.

We headed home around 4 o'clock and -- you guessed it -- dirt bike riding. That was inevitable!! Being Father's Day, what whaiāipo wants to do, is what we do -- and one of the best places the kids bond with their dad is riding dirt bikes!!! The rest of the kids kicked ball with dad while he watched on with pride at our big kids zipping around the track.

By the end of the day, we were all very tired. What a wonderful feeling that is too!!! To come home and be exhausted from a busy day. That's two weekends in a row that we haven't been home. It's about time is all I can say! It feels wonderful to be able to reward the children with special outings/gatherings.

It always comforts me when I have people ask me how I manage to have such well-behaved children. That's such a good way to end the day ... with a smile, knowing we do have well-behaved, fantastic kids. Just ask whaiāipo !!! I'm sure he'd tell you he had a fantastic Father's Day.

Anyway, I'll close today's post off with this video clip which I've had saved for weeks. I'm so glad the day is finally here to say Happy Father's Day to all the dads in Aotearoa :-

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment