Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Pugno

Okay, the other day I mentioned TOGA, right? Well, after chatting to my brother on good ol' Skype last night, I thought I'd add this little diddy as well.

I can recall the first time we learned the word, "pugno", which means, "I fight." I said aloud to the children, "I wonder if a pug dog comes from the word pugno? (NB pugno is not pronounced with a hard g, more like p-oo-ng-oh. I was simply considering the connection with the spelling.) Anyway, fast forward to my conversation with Craig last night.

We were chatting away when - for whatever whacky reason - my brother sent me the following YouTube clip:



I giggled and explained to him what it reminded me of and so began a discussion of pug dogs, pugnacious, pugilist etc.

Well, this morning I thought I'd do a quick search to confirm my thoughts and I came across the following explanation from this link:

Looking for the origin of "pug" leads us on a merry chase. First stop is the Old English word "pocca," which meant "bag" and gave us "pocket," "pock" (plural "pox," as in chickenpox), "pucker" and "poke," what not to buy a pig in. Another offshoot was the word "puck," which meant elf or goblin. Originally a small but frightening demon, "puck" eventually led to "pug," which was used as a term of endearment for anything or anyone of small stature, including dogs or noses. In fact, before pug dogs made their appearance, a "pug" could be anything from a child to a monkey to a ship's cabin boy. However, "pug" as a slang term for "boxer" is not related, being short for "pugilist," from the Latin word for boxer, "pugil."
So there is a connection between "pug" the dog and "pug" the nose, but tread carefully explaining it to the next pug-nosed person you meet, lest you awaken their pugilist nature.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: the children and I are enjoying learning the origins of words and asking ourselves what derivatives we can think of as we progress in our studies.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment