Sunday, 16 May 2010

YES !!!

Okay, so the title for the post is hardly enthralling, but golly, I find it hard to come up with titles, lol. The simple little word does actually sum up how I felt about the week.

We've returned to school in the style and manner that suits our family. I'm comfortable with what we do, albeit frustrating when we have {necessary} interruptions.

On the list for the week:
  1. Tama 1: Finish reading The Littles.
  2. Learn at least half the Greek alphabet - both upper and lower case.
  3. Get back into Math-U-See.
  4. Latin lessons 2 and 3.
  5. Science experiment.
  6. Prepare Sir Cumference lapbook.
  7. Tama 1 and tamāhine 1 to work on one Ziptales story each.
  8. Geography - Start out African lapbook.
  9. Typing practice.
  10. Multiplications.
  11. Send homeschooling supervision allowance form away.
  12. Art - practice drawing.
  13. Brainstorming: tama 1's story.
  14. Tamāhine 1: continue reading Athena.
  15. Tamāhine 1: Spelling test.
A few things will need tweaking but overall we have something resembling the ideal for us. So anyway, our week went a little like this:

Science
Although we carried out one science experiment, we didn't get too technical about the how's and why's of it as I simply wanted the kids to enjoy returning to science, ie it only took five minutes to create and enjoy.

Hovercraft

The plan is to expand on the "theory" from next week.

Nana Nancy popped over for a flying visit to show us a wasp nest she and Bruce had dug up.

We were all very fascinated with the size and detail of the nest. Isn't it massive?!!!

Math
Only one expectation: to do math every day. Other than that I placed no expectation to complete more than two or three pages for tama 1 and between one or two pages for tamāhine 1. We went right back to Lesson 1 in their manuals and reviewed everything [for the two big kids]. As luck would have it, the two big kids were fine with everything so were able to pick up where they had left off.

When we last studied, tamāhine 1 got stuck with "area". She was fine with perimeter but for some reason when we reached area, she seemed baffled. For the most part she understood, but simple little giveaways let me know she hadn't really grasped the concept, so that's why we stopped when we did. Kei te pai. Rather than push the issue, I decided to attack it from a different angle. With luck we can return to it confidently next week.

Language Arts
Ziptales was very useful for comprehension. I let both kids choose any genre, as long as they read it without using the voice over. They both do well with comprehension so that was easily checked off the list.

So proud tama 1 finished reading The Littles in four sittings as I thought he might. As for tamāhine 1 she's read eight chapters of her book. Only two chapters left. I was keen for her to finish it, but we got busy with other learning - and lapbooking. We not only started, but finished, the "Sir Cumference and the First Round Table" lapbook. This [math] storybook and lapbook were purely for fun.

Geography
On Friday we made an excellent start with our African lapbook.

Africa: I knew this was going to be a big topic and I'm not even sure I have the best approach at exploring the second largest continent, but oh well, this is why I said up above that things still need tweaking. For tama 1 we'd have motored through lots simply with reading and he'd have it all stored in his head. As for tamāhine 1, her learning style is very different, so I'm trying to satisfy both learning styles without losing interest and momentum from either discipulus (student).
LatinYes, you'd be right in guessing I used the word discipulus above on purpose. You'll recall I mentioned we would be starting Latin, and we have. Whether I chose the best curricula remains to be seen. Considering it's a gentle introduction, I think it will be fine. I did have a couple of other curricula in mind, but we will use what we have and supplement if needed. Granted, we're only up to lesson 5 but so far they are happy. If I can keep their interest we'll stick with it because I like the gentle approach.

Greek
Mission for the week was to learn at least the first twelve letters of the Greek alphabet and we accomplished that. The mission for next week: learn the remaining twelve. Until we have the alphabet under our belt I can't really say much more about Koine. Just like Latin, it will be a case of trial and error. As always,I will find more things to stimulate
theirour interest.

Well, I think that covers the bulk of our learning. There were a few other things, but for the most part I think I've outlined that our return to learning this week went well.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment