Thursday, 14 January 2010

First thing this morning we saw ...

Each morning, whaiāipo heads off to work around 7.40-7.45am and this morning was no exception.

Within five minutes my mobile rang. With its fancy ring-tone, I know it's whaiāipo.

It turns out he's ringing to let us know there's a helicopter spraying the crops down the road (about 4kms from our home).
So, I bundle the kids into the van, grab the camera and leaving the breakfast dishes scattered on the bench and door unlocked we head down the road in search of this helicopter.

It's a gorgeous morning already and we had a great vantage point to be freely entertained over the next half an hour or so.
Do you ever click the shutter button and you get a one or two second delay before it takes the photo? I'm sure I would've captured the perfect photo of the helicopter barely flying over the power lines! But I'll add the photo anyway because I simply find it amazing how a pilot can confidently fly so close to such deadly things.
He was literally right next to us over the fence for this photo ...
And this one ...
We watched it land to refill and then fly off to other farms. We followed it from Gee Road (here) back to Rotokawa Road.
Okay, so this isn't exactly a first-time event for us, but it's the first time I've been armed with camera at the right time!!

Thank goodness for mobile phones.

Now that I've shared that piece of morning exploration, we're about to head back towards town to do our weekly grocery shop (oh, but that's not before the kids finish drawing their pictures of what they saw first!!!)


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment