Thursday, 4 June 2009

SpellQuizzer Dot Com


I got the shock of my life - well, a pleasant shock that is - when I received a request from Dan Hite over at SpellQuizzer.com to review his website. I've never been asked to review a website (in a formal sense) before, and although I've visited plenty of blogs which review many websites, this is honestly my first shot at trying to do justice by reviewing from my humble point of view.

So anyway, let's get down to the nitty gritty of actually reviewing SpellQuizzer.com. Firstly, I do believe the name is self-explanatory so I don't really think I need to point out you're about to visit a website to help with your child(ren)'s spelling; or do I?!

To help me explain the webiste, I've included a few screen shots and as you can see, it's a very user-friendly program ... you simply click on the buttons and you're taken to the relevant screen.

One of the greatest things a website can have for those of us who find visuals an easier tool to follow, is a video demonstration page. Once I've read the general description of a website (which yes, includes noting the price!), the video demonstration is usually the page I will target next. If I can follow that, then I will most certainly take advantage of any trial periods which in the case of SpellQuizzer is 30 days with a 100% moneyback guarantee.



Like any great software, one expects a Help File and SpellQuizzer certainly provides that ...


Overall, I cannot fault this program. The price (even when converted to NZD$) is actually very respectable. There are a few programs out there that I would like to use with the children for other subjects, but simply with the converted price, they simply don't get a look-in. Spelling is an area which is important for the children to master and when you check the testimonials page you'll be encouraged by the results from other families.

One of the nice little quirks I like is that you can add an audio, ie you can make spelling practice even more fun for the student by recording amusing sentences in the spelling software, or using a funny voice when you record your spelling lists. Why have the boring old list of words just appear when you can add some spice of life to your spelling? After all, we enjoy sentence equations with math, so why not have a program do the same with spelling? Anything to help your child remember is a good thing in my books.

Share spelling & vocabulary lists with other homeschoolers
Belong to a homeschool group or co-op? SpellQuizzer makes it easy to export your word lists to share with other SpellQuizzer users and to import lists other users have created. A group of homeschoolers who are working with the same curriculum can share their lists via email or make them available for download on the web. That way homeschool families can share their lists rather than each family having to create each list independently.


The verdict?



In Summary

The website moves between screens quickly, the software has a simplistic style about it therefore making it extremely user-friendly. I like the idea that I can import and export the lists to share with others via email attachment, or post to a website for download. The price is certainly affordable and everything about the software is geared towards making spelling an enjoyable subject.

And there you have it, my first official review. I hope you find something of use in my posting today.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment