Friday, 26 June 2009

Happy Supervision Allowance Day

Today is a good day. Homeschooling parents around the country will receive the first half of their "Supervision Allowance".

Supervise - In childcare and general use, the verb "to supervise" means to watch over, and is often used in the context of an adult watching children to ensure they are attended, acceptably behaved, and safe. (Wikipedia's definition)

Now, to explain why I haven't blogged in a while ...

I'm actually using an old "spare" computer because the main one I've used has given up the ghost. For the last few months the other computer would take anywhere between 8 to 48 hours to crank up, so I ended up leaving it turned on day and night. As much as it grated my nerves to leave it on 24/7 I chose to do it that way because it was either go out and buy another computer, or buy another car. Needless to say we couldn't afford both, so buying another car won without question. (BTW, I think our power company enjoyed the extra income from us leaving the hard-drive on all day and night!!!!)

The past fortnight we experienced enough powercuts to not only drive me insane as I waited for it to reboot, but also the eventual deflation to realise it simply wasn't going to start again. After waiting four days this final time - hoping it would find the energy to start again - I decided to take it off life support and bid that computer goodbye. Now it's down to this dear old clunker to tide us over until we can buy another one. Most likely I will be using the Supervision Allowance towards it as well as max out my visa .... yet again!!!

Being the old clunker that it is, I can't load any new programmes to it, one of which is the digital camera software which means because I haven't taken any recent photos I can only access old photos, but they aren't school-related ....

The other truly annoying thing I can't load on is Adobe Acrobat Reader. Now THAT frustrates me BIG time because although I have all my important files saved (phew!!!), I can't access any of them that require Acrobat Reader. I've had to email my brother asking him to "open this" and "open that" and pass on some info I need from certain files. How crazy is technology huh?!

Typically I had the Supervision Allowance earmarked for other educational things, but without a computer our homeschooling pretty much comes to a halt (well, slight exaggeration, but you get the idea!?) because I am so reliant on accessing free resources, never mind blogging, emailing, IM'ing etc. I mean, honestly there's a host of reasons why I use a computer. Another one in particular I want the computer for is to research material for my Mauri Ora paper. I've just about completed kete 2, but could do with the convenience of googling for information when I want to.

So, to conclude this section of my post, I wanted to let you know that until we get a new computer the posts will either be weeks in between, or at the very least, short of pictures!

Okay, here I am saying I won't have pictures, but following are a few which I had drafted to a another posting but never finished. They show only a glimpse of what the children have accomplished this term.

Such as learning ...
some basic Spanish
a little about Mozart
and Beethoven
and Bach
???
Oops!!!! No photo of Bach!!! I obviously stopped the draft at that point eh?!
Oh well, Bach has a Notebook similar to the previous two composers.

The children haven't had a chance to finish off some of their other courses because of the "you will need Acrobat Reader" saga!!! Hei aha, we should have another computer by the commencement of next term so we can always pick up where we left off.

The moral of the story ... save your files as frequently as possible!!!

Earlier I mentioned we had to decide between buying a computer, or buying a car ... and the car was the most urgent of the two. Well, I've nabbed a photo of it from the TradeMe auction to show you ... clever thinking huh?


Our family love this peoplemover. I never thought we'd afford to buy one quite so soon, yet good fortune was on our side. Whaiāipo was clever to find it and buy it for a steal !!! For the price of less than a new computer, we are happily gadding about in our Nissan Largo!!!

So you see, when it was a choice of weighing up between a car and a computer, it was an easy decision!!!!

However, next on the agenda is a computer... but not till we get back from the Incredible Science trip. Don't forget, if you're in the Auckland area the first Monday of the school holidays in July, then try to head along to the University. The day is packed with awesome events. My brother who lives in Auckland is taking the day off to come with us!!! How cool is that!!!!

Well, I think that will do for today's post. It's taken a very long time just to achieve this much. The old clunker has shut down on me more times than I care to let on, lol. Poor old thing, but I'm grateful it's still going and able to have helped get this post done at the very least. That way, you won't be fretting wondering where I've got to ... ha ha ha!!!!

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment