Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Multitasking - experiment while making dinner

As we prepared tonight's kai, I decided to try a little experiment called Tornado in a Jar ...

Step 1: Fill jar with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid
Step 2: Add a few drops of food colouring (We used a syringe because I thought it would be easier for the children to only use a drop as opposed to a blob of food colouring ... If I had an eye-dropper, I would have used that, but one uses what is available, nē ?)
Step 3: Place lid tightly on jar
Step 4: Swirl jar in circles lots of times
(The swirling motion you give the jar forms a vortex and is an easy way to create your own tornado.)
Cool!!!! A Tornado !!!!
Close-up shot of tornado (very hard to photograph I have to say!!!)
We tried the experiment probably four times because it was so much fun.
I've included the following photo because it captures the smile on tama 1 the first time he did the experiment ... by this stage the tornado has just about "left the area" so the photo is definitely more for showing excitement of the kids as opposed to the experiment result.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment