Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Into February already

I can hardly believe it's February already!

January seemed to whizz by so quickly, didn't it?! Oh well, I guess that means it's time to knuckle down into school work properly... well, nearly, lol.

I'm certainly glad we took it easy for the first couple of weeks - especially in this heat. None of us were interested in spending an entire day with heads in books, but it was definitely a good way to start off the school year. [Mental note to self: always start the school year off a few weeks in advance at a gentle pace.]

This week we have tried to get ourselves back into full-swing. Monday was incredibly hot so by 3 o'clock we were all ready to have a swim. I'm sure if ngā tamariki (the children) were at public school, they would be enjoying outdoor sports and swimming activities still, so I don't feel guilty allowing them to cool off on a hot summer's day. And as you can see from this next clip, tama 1 is helping tamāhine 2 enjoy the pool. It's only been in the last week and a half that tamāhine 2 has shown an interest to get in the pool. Typically it's gone from "I don't want to get in," to "I don't want to get out!"


video

During this period of gentle return to school, I've included jigsaws. [A good way to get the brains thinking but disguised as fun, lol.]


For maths I have the children take turns to work in the classroom. One stays at the kitchen bench with me while the other works on their subject at the 'school desk'.

In this particular photograph, ngā tamariki are concentraing on their handwriting. Tama 1 is learning cursive and I think he's over the novelty of seeing a different style of handwriting, lol.


But he really is making a fine effort, eh?

Monday and Tuesday afternoons we have spent helping whaiāipo to start cleaning out the shed. We've cleared two bays, given them a sweep and now we have half a shed to make into the motorbike workshop as well as house the children's outside toys. We've loaded the trailer with recylcing materials and set aside what needs to go to the landfill.

I'm just not sure where the trampoline will be going for winter this year?
Hmm, perhaps it will remain outside me thinks.

Last night, around 7.30 pm, Uncle Graeme from Ōtepoti (Dunedin) arrived. Whaiāipo was very keen to catch up with his big brother. Whaiāipo is the baby of six boys, Graeme being the second eldest. Graeme and a friend of his, Paul, are preparing to head up to Pukekohe with the two Velocettes. Another brother, Russell, usually does the racing. I think whaiāipo would be happy to get back into it given half the chance.

Another brother, Kerry, comes back from Australia each year to join the boys at Pukekohe for the NZ Classic Motorcycle Racing . It's been something of a family tradition to attend the races at Pukekohe, and hopefully whaiāipo can attend this year for the first time in a long time. (Yet another good reason to be out of self-employment, lol.)

Tama 1 took the following photos (hence the lower view)



Back to school work now ...

Here's some of the books tamāhine 1 has read/reading. The bottom two I read when I would have been the children's age. [My mother has kept them from all those years back! Yay, mum!]

Tamāhine 1 read "Tip and Mitten", in two sittings. Considering she read 1,878 words (yes, I counted every jolly one of them!) I am very proud. She did extremely well, indeed.

You may remember the book, "Flip" which we started last year but didn't return to for one reason or t'other. Well, she chose to start the book again the other day and it was encouraging to listen to her advanced reading. I could recall she stammered a few times back then, but was confident in her reading this time. 558 words

"The sleepyhead" 437 words. She only struggled with the pronunciation of the little girl's name in the book which is Lynne. Tamāhine 1 kept pronouncing it as Lyn-eee. Other than that, it was a relatively easy book to practice with.

She has read half of "The Best Halloween of All". We will complete that tomorrow.

Okay, that's things in a nutshell at the moment. We'll be heading up to Auckland in the next few days so the postings will definitely be late (again). Once we're back home though, I'll be updating the Google Calendar as our focus will definitely be back to full-swing and hopefully my posts will be more frequent too.


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

1 comment:

  1. I lost the link to your blog when I moved to blogspot. I'm so glad I found you again! I've been reading through your previous posts, and I'm saddened by your loss. I'll be saying my Rosary for you today. On a different note, how hot is it there? Currently at 8:15 in the morning it is 15 below zero - fahrenheit. I'd give anything for a hot day and a dip in the pool!

    ReplyDelete