Monday, 24 November 2008

The weather may not have been the greatest, but the children's mahi was

What do I have on my toast in the morning?

I honestly didn't notice the label said "Mo-mite" !!! It was whaiāipo who pointed it out to me.
"The Movember event raises awareness around men's health issues and funds for carefully selected beneficiary partners that are also charitable organisations, with a focus on prostate cancer and depression in men.

Since its inception as a formal charity in 2004 Movember has raised over $30 million globally, significantly increased awareness of prostate cancer and depression in the community, and is continuously working to change the attitude men have about their health."
I'm not convinced I could handle seeing whaiāipo with a moustache!!!! But the cause is certainly commendable.

We had [literally] no sooner finished parakuihi when Whaarangi from Tipu Ora arrived. I hadn't done my dishes, but at least the table had been cleared and cleaned, lol. Whaarangi is one of only a handful of people in my life that I am relaxed enough to warmly welcome into my kāinga having known me through the financial struggle period whaiāipo and myself battled with for too many years to remember now.

Whaarangi has been a God-send to me. A true kaitiaki, whether in her capacity of employment, or as the kuia I never had. I am blessed to have her in my life. With a deep and beautiful wairua (spirit), we connect on many levels for which I am eternally grateful. My prayers are with her at the moment because one of her children is dying of cancer. He is only 49 - the same age as my eldest brother. It is unimaginable to me to think that such a young life can be taken, so my heart and aroha are with Whaarangi during this difficult time....

Well, that makes it hard to change subjects doesn't it? ....

School got underway with Mathematics.

I'm determined to keep maths as the starting lesson for each day because it's one subject I can have tamāhine 1 and tama 1 work on independently, allowing me to tend to the babies and/or anything requiring my attention. Tamāhine 1 will come to me when she reaches the sentence questions. Other than needing help to figure out some of the characters names, she can read the sentences very well indeed. Today tama 1 worked on 48 x 3-digit subtraction equations. He got them ALL correct except ONE!!!!! He had a slight slip up in thought ... he added instead of subtracted. Tamāhine 1 is progressing beautifully with Math-U-See. Working on Lesson 20B through to 20D today, tamāhine 1 continues to "click" with her maths.

Now, I know that if we were following Charlotte Mason more fluently, we should have short lessons (eg 20 minute lessons with 10 minute breaks). Well, you may look at our calendar and think "heavens, are they really doing maths for over an hour?"

The answer?

"Of course we are ..."

"... not"

In reality tamāhine 1 and tama 1 have many disturbances (in the disguise of their younger siblings), however, we try to do at least 20 minute chunks on most days. But in saying that we will do double lessons because they eventually settle into a groove with it, so I prefer to keep the momentum going whether that is 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes. On the days they don't enjoy it, we'll do just 20-30 minutes and move onto the next subject.

Even though I wouldn't say tamāhine 1 has completely mastered "Solving for the Unknown", I am satisfied she understands it enough to move on through the workbook because with each day's practice, tamāhine 1 retains more and more examples, reinforcing her knowledge.

Following paramanawa, tamāhine 1 practiced handwriting while tama 1 worked on Physical Sciences > Classification of Objects. Then while I worked with tamāhine 1 on her reading, tama 1 continued with Physical Sciences > Material Forms, eg meanings and see examples of mass, matter, solid, liquid, and gas. I chose this particular topic as it was one way to have tama 1 and myself prepare ourselves for our afternoon task ... our Astronomy lapbook.

As you can see, work is finally underway with our Astronomy lapbook.

Not only does it require tama 1 to read the material, but we have to search for the relevant answers and then document our findings in the allocated space.

His writing impressed me so much today.

I just couldn't get over the fact that he wrote in such a straight line,
without the aid of a ruler even!!!

Everything was legible with correct spelling and punctuation.

Rawe, e tama!!!


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment