Wednesday, 3 September 2008

Wow, 100 posts - how'd that happen so quickly?

Courtesy Rotorua Review, 3 September 2008

I have chosen to use today's newspaper cutout because not only do I think the Kiwi looks really cute in the caretaker's hands but it also helped to emphasise to the children how tiny it really is.

Although I planned to mention Rainbow Springs a little more in depth next week, I couldn't resist sharing a little something 'special' today. The Kiwi Encounter is not only popular with tourists but also locals alike and when something special like this event occurs, one cannot help but feel pleased that our endangered Kiwi is strengthening its numbers albeit by one.

Kiwi are nocturnal, flightless and our national symbol. Where once they could fly, their wings over time became so small because until the introduction of pigs, stoats, cats and other predators, the Kiwi had no cause to flee from danger and therefore evolved to the bird we have today.

With the establishment of predator-free islands and other sanctuaries such as Rainbow Springs, the Kiwi - along with other endangered species - will hopefully rebuild their numbers to a point where they will no longer be in fear of extinction. One such island is Mokoia Island which is the beautiful island just off-shore from where we live.

Mokoia Island has another significant meaning for me because it represents the Maori love story of Hinemoa and Tutanekai. But I shall share that with you another day...

Today's post marks the 100th publishing on our school blog. It serves as a reminder that we have been homeschooling for quite some time now and as such I am contemplating where we are heading with school for the remainder of the year. One thing I will remain committed to is this blog. If anything, I will endeavour to record our progress either daily or bi-weekly because I have learned that I don't remember how we covered some aspects already! In other words ... make use of the school blog Maree!! (or perhaps it just means my recording is appalling, lol.)


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on 100 posts!

    The Kiwi chick is adorable. It was interesting to read about them.

    ReplyDelete