Wednesday, 17 September 2008

What did we do in class this Wednesday?

School commenced promptly at 8.30 this morning. For us that's very early! Have we started this early before? Once or twice, but as a general rule school commences later as I have a few morning chores I like to achieve first, eg check emails, pop on a load of laundry, do the breakfast dishes, wipe down surfaces and two of the most important things of all - make sure there's a clear kitchen workbench and no toys left lying around.

Once we've got the basics organised, we commence lessons. This morning we had everything checked off pretty much so I decided to have a quick look at Time4Learning with Tama 1. I would love to find a website which - when converted into New Zealand dollars - is affordable for us. I can't afford the $US19.95 per month. Today's exchange rate puts that figure at $NZ30.31 per month!!! That's over $300 per annum - for only one child! Yikes!!!!

So, the three choices are:
  1. use the 14-day free trial and say thank you very much at the end of it;
  2. keep searching for something else online that is either free or of better value in NZD;
  3. pay the monthly subscription (hmm, I don't think so!! I will need to win Lotto to do that).
And why am I not using Reading Eggs with him? Quite simply - he's well passed the present levels offered. However, he looks on while his younger siblings use the computer and it's quite obvious he'd like to have a go too. So, I'd like to find him something that covers a multitude of subjects, is user-friendly, cheap (if not free) and is too good to resist. There's a list of choices available and it's just a matter of finding the 'right' one.

MUS lessons went well. Tamāhine 1 covered Systematic Review 2D, 2E and 2F while Tama 1 worked with the Test Booklet covering well-overdue tests (yes, I'd completely forgotten these things!) Unit Test II: Lessons 1-1 Page 1, Page 2, Tests 18-20. They both achieved exceptional results.

Tama 1 read from Fifty Famous Stories Retold. Today it was "The Story of William Tell". Words he asked explanations for were "tyrant", "rebel" and what did the phrase "carry true" mean. Then there's that all-time favourite question about words having the same spelling yet mean different things. In today's reading we had "rebel" and "bow".

Tamāhine 1
produced lovely handwriting. Today we used words from the Montessori reading, eg "Am I a tan cat?", "Can a cat sit in a pan?" etc. Tama 1 skipped the handwriting today because we had visitors, but we managed to start a new poem from The Harp and Laurel Wreath. My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson. It's rather long - four verses in fact. We will commit the first verse only to memory today, which reads as follows:

I have a little shadow, that goes in and out with me.
And what can be the use of him is more than I can see.
He is very, very like me from the heels up to the head;
And I see him jump before me, when I jump into my bed.

Tamāhine 1 covered Book 1 Lessons 8 and 9 Montessori website for her reading with excellent effort (unsupervised).

Before I finish today's post, I'll share this little pic. Whaiāipo came home with Lotus Moon Cake which he received from a regular client at work today. Apparently you're meant to eat it on the 15th of September to bring you good luck. Oh well, we are only a few days over and according to Dr Kin we should still receive good luck. Awesome, I'll try anything once.

I can't describe the flavour. Neither can I confirm nor deny if I like it. It's different, but it's okay. For an inky dinky cake, it's not too bad. Considering I've never heard of it before, I would probably say I'd try it again.

So, there you have our day. We've all enjoyed ourselves and I thank the kids for being so keen and attentive with their work.

Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano

No comments:

Post a Comment