Friday, 7 March 2008

And how was your week?

We had one of those muddled weeks this week. The kids basically had freedom of choice while mum scrubbed the house as if she were expecting royalty. A bit of maths here, lots of drawing there, plenty of outside play and birthday card making.

So here's a quick recap of the week that was:
  • This time last week I celebrated my 42nd birthday. I love my birthdays and this year was no exception. The greatest thing about this one however was having the children make a fuss over me and reminding me birthdays are about blowing out candles on your cake, having home-made cards and playing outside all day.
  • Spending Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday preparing the house for the overnight stay of a family friend.
  • Wednesday night through to Thursday afternoon - spent enjoying our guests. Steve was my third brother's best friend at school and like most friends of ours, he spent a LOT of time at our house. Well, since those days he's moved overseas, married a beautiful Slovakian, has an equally beautiful baby girl and currently resides in Oman, with every outlook of moving to Jordan after that. What an absolute blast to catch up with him again.
  • My third brother that I mentioned celebrates his 45th birthday today and the lucky devil has even managed to swing a day off work to spend with Steve who headed up to Auckland yesterday. I can just imagine the pair of them today - recapturing their youth and probably embellishing on silly stories ... as you do!!!!
  • Having made a decision to make my own tertiary education a priority, I received the first of my two extramural papers ... get this! I'm attempting (1) Latin; and (2) Hinduism & Buddhism!!!! Wish me luck! I'm definitely going to need it. It was all the way back in 1999 when I started my extramural studies through Massey University. And then we started the first of our two businesses so I thought I'd put my studies on hold while we got them underway ... and then the kids started to come along ... excuses, excuses. But now I realise it's time to get back into it. So here I am, starting afresh and hopefully I'll be the inspiration to our children like I've always wanted to be. Extramural I may be for the next year or two, but with a bit of luck I will be full-time if all goes well sooner rather than later. My goal is to (1) Graduate!!!!; and (2) Take our family overseas and continue our homeschooling journey wherever we may be.
There have been other small things happening through the week, but those are the important ones.

Now, before you think I've forgotten this is our school blog and not the family blog, I'll throw in a couple of examples of the children's work.


DS1 has been working on the "9 wants to be a 10" and "8 wants to be a 10" with MUS -> which, by the way, if you haven't cottoned on yet, I love Math-U-See. Now, for anyone who may be familiar with a BBC programme called Numberjacks, I can vouch that I have used a concept of that programme to help me to explain the "9 (or 8) wants to be a 10". Numberjacks has a character known as The NumberTaker. Pretty self-explanatory really ... he likes to take numbers. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I would indicate the "9" is the NumberTaker and he takes "1" from the next number, so now he's "10" and away we went. I'll throw in a pic of DD1's math and one of her favourite characters from Numberjacks "Spooky Spoon".


To me, anything that helps get the understanding across is all good. I can honestly say it has helped my own addition comprehension. Now, if only I can find handy things like that for my own studies eh!!!!

Oh, and the last thing I wanted to mention was this ... our family friend Steve is doing his Masters (in Education) this year. Neither Steve, nor his wife Veronika (a primary school teacher) had a negative thing to say to me about our choice of homeschooling. I guess that's mainly due to the family-friend relationship, but they were well impressed with what things they saw, heard or spoke to the children about. They were well chuffed when DS1 recited the entire Owl and the Pussy Cat for starters!!!

DS1 has spent the past week or two designing things ... I'm really impressed how he's learned to hold, use and create with the ruler. You know what I mean? Going from the ruler shifting as he tries to draw a line, or digging a hole into the paper as he tried to press against an object, or basically not accomplishing that straight line as he wanted. Wow, that's one of the great reasons I homeschool ... to see these things develop. Beautiful. Anyway, here's a glimpse at just "one" of his designs, or inventions. Maybe I should put a copyright on it, lol!


Well done son!

This weekend I will be focusing on defining the art-form of "Preparation". I've been hopeless to date with routines and preparation for school, but now that I have my own studies to throw into the mix, it's time to establish a proper timetable ... yuck!

Anyway, thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Maree

No comments:

Post a Comment