Tuesday, 13 November 2007

Tuesday's child is full of grace

I have such a sieve of a memory that I had to Google the Mother Goose poem "Monday's Child is Fair of Face" because I thought I might try and write a post for each day this week as a means of recording our schooling and figured the Mother Goose poem would compliment the idea.

Anyway, the site that I accessed has a gorgeous wee exercise where you pop in your date of birth and it will come up telling you what day of the week you were born on. [Just remember it's an American site so in reality if you were born in New Zealand you'll have to look at the day before, ie they tell me I was born on Monday when of course it was Sunday in New Zealand.]

But I do like the poem ...

MONDAY'S CHILD IS FAIR OF FACEby Mother Goose
Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,

Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go.
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child born on the Sabbath Day,
Is fair and wise and
good and gay.




Today I wanted to share our day's schooling highlighting we were away from home for the entire day; which of course is not uncommon for a lot of homeschooling families, but for us it's still not an everyday event.

You may recall I am now visiting my midwife each week which means by the time we go into the city our day is half over. Rather than traipse all the way home having lumbered four kiddies in the vehicle, I find it less stressful to take the children to my parents and spend the bulk of the day with them. It's worked out very nicely so far whereby we share a kai together and then start akoranga (learning, school, class, lesson). This way I have a few extra pair of hands, ears and ideas which allows me to get more mahi done with the children.

The many uses of the Environment bags eh!? In our case the bags cart school books ... and no, the pile of books to the right of DS1's right leg are not his school books! Nana is sorting through some stuff, but it would've been impressive if I said it was his school work eh! lol But as his Uncle in Tamaki Makarau (Auckland) commented to me this evening, "he could be marking exams". Pono (True!) Very true!

Things worked out very nicely for us today. DS1 read to nana before getting into maths. The children also recited their new poem to nana and koro. DD1 practiced her handwriting, and then had a tinker on nana's laptop. She's picked up using the mouse pad quite nicely. And yes, I do recall saying I don't like giving the children much in the way of computer time, and by rights they don't. But while DS2 and DD2 were having a moe (sleep), I allowed DD1 to have a tutū once she completed her art work. (DS1 chose to do his art work five minutes before we left might I add!) The very last thing we covered were NZ native manu (birds). We only spent about five minutes on them though as koro is always able to talk about these sorts of topics at great length so we'd no sooner look at one manu and koro would go off on a tangent!!!

DS2 was gorgeous, he hopped under the duvet that nana puts on the floor for DD2 to crawl on, and wouldn't you know it, he fell asleep. He's so funny though, he got RIGHT under the duvet and covered himself up! Within minutes he was "fast a moe" (as we say). I think he's still catching up from his weekend of fun as well as just sheer exhaustion from all the bike riding he's doing nowadays.

Actually, the children's schooling started when we went to see my midwife didn't it? Everybody had to come with me today because we were running very late; which also meant we didn't get to the recycling centre. Luckily for me, our children are beautifully well-behaved and my midwife knows each and every one of them very intimately. The children enjoy coming along, especially to watch me having my blood pressure taken and then get to listen to the baby's heart beating in my puku.

As soon as we arrived home, the children were straight inside to grab their bikes and headed out to burn off some energy. I love this time of year. Spring and Autumn are by far my favourite seasons. With daylight savings especially, your days just feel brighter don't they?

So, I think that covers our Tuesday pretty much ...


Thanks for dropping by
ka kite ano
Maree

No comments:

Post a Comment